Spring Clean Your Health
As the weather finally warms up, our thoughts are turning to spring and ‘getting back out there’!
Spring is a wonderful time to come out from under the doona of winter and recharge your health. Here are 5 really simple ideas to ‘spring clean’ your life and get ready for the summer to come. Take these steps to cleaner living and better health!
- Clean up your plate now Spring is here. This is a perfect time to change things up as the fresh seasonal produce starts coming in. Try to eat something each week that you have not tried before? The sustainable table has wonderful information about sustainable eating as well as seasonal eating guide https://sustainabletable.org.au/all-things-ethical-eating/seasonal-produce-guide/#spring
- Try a technology ‘detox’ – suggest the household have a ‘break’ from phones, computer screens and games, even T.V. Through lock down we have all spent more time inside and turned to technology to communicate and entertain. Now try a ‘technology detox’ – set some limits on how much time is spent on devices a day – try this site to track time spent on devices via Moment https://inthemoment.io/ Take a social media ‘break’ for 1 day on the weekend, instead think about step 2?!
- Embrace the outdoors! Even in these times of Covid-19 exercise is still able to be done and also necessary to improve health. The warmer weather can inspire us to get up and out with the whole family. Going to the park with a ball, booking a local tennis court for a hit with friends or perhaps go exploring in some of the breathtaking coastal walks that we can all do in Sydney - The 14 Best Walks in Sydney https://www.sydney.com/things-to-do/nature-and-parks/walks/best-walks
- The sunshine Vitamin D is important for immunity, so getting our levels up in spring is important. There is a delicate line between balancing the beneficial effects of sunlight exposure while avoiding its damaging effects. Although sun exposure can help increase vitamin D production, ultraviolet radiation is a risk factor for skin cancer and sun protection should be considered, especially in summer. In Spring in Sydney about 10 -12 minutes in the middle of the day on arms, and legs is all that is needed.
- Start a Meditation practice it is a wonderful way of switching off the stress response we encounter each day. A simple way is to find a quite spot, even for 10 minutes if that is all you have got. Sit comfortably and with eyes closed bring you awareness to your internal world. Notice your breathing, start to inhale and exhale holding the breath at the top and bottom as above. Watch your thoughts when they arise as though they are plays on a stage, don’t get involved by bringing your attention back to your breath and letting the thoughts go. As you practice this will get easier and your mind will quieten, in this state your body calms down and allows you to cope with further details more easily. Apps that can help start and support a meditation practice - https://www.headspace.com/
Do you think these are all good ideas but….
- Find your Why? Why do you want to do this? Write down what you want to achieve, come up with a goal? Maybe it is losing a little weight, it might be sleeping better (which will be helped by eating less sugar and refined carbs), maybe you are making a commitment to just getting back on track with healthy eating that will help support overall health and most importantly immunity! (come out of lock down better than you went in?!)
- How will you feel when you are on track and working towards your goals? The clearer you are about this the more focused you can be and the more likely you are to keep going.
- Track improvements – maybe take your waist measurement at the start of each week? Record how many steps you can do each day and try to improve each week? Post on Instagram your healthy eating options to inspire others? Maybe, get a commitment from other friends and family to join you in your quest!