For a consultation on your health issues, please book online or call for an appointment
FUNCTIONAL PATHOLOGY TESTING
CORTISOL AWAKENING RESPONSE
The Cortisol Awakening Response
The (CAR) or Cortisol Awakening Response test is a unique appraisal, measuring the rise and fall of your cortisol within the first hour after awakening. To do the test you need to measure your cortisol via a saliva sample on rising, thirty minutes after waking, then sixty minutes after waking up. You take another sample again at 12:00 (mid-day), at 4:00 pm, and 8:00 pm. This test gives us a comprehensive indication of what your stress response is on waking and then measures your response through the day.
Other Adrenal Tests
The Adrenal Hormone Profile is a non-invasive saliva and urine test which monitors the levels of the stress hormones, Cortisol and DHEA-S, over the course of a day. This is an important test to gauge your adrenal function. Symptoms that may suggest this test is right for you are anxiety, depression, mood swings, insomnia, headaches, low energy, stress, hormonal imbalance, poor immune function, fatigue and disordered blood glucose regulation.
Which Adrenal Hormones are Tested?
The adrenal hormones tested are cortisol and DHEA-S. The altered levels of these hormones can show levels of acute and/or chronic mental and/or physical stress.
- DHEA-S levels decline with age in men and women, and a decline in DHEA will result in abnormal oestrogen/testosterone/progesterone
- Reduced levels of DHEA-S may result in fatigue, poor immune function, weight gain, increased ageing, memory loss and poor concentration.
- DHEA decline is associated with osteoporosis / CVD / autoimmunity / diabetes / thyroid disease / Alzheimer’s /breast cancer
- Cortisol is the most potent hormone produced by adrenal glands
- We produce 30mg daily but can produce up to 200mg in periods of stress
- Cortisol affects immune function / glucose regulation / vascular tone / bone metabolism /carbohydrate, protein and fat metabolism
Make A Move Today
If you are concerned stress may be playing a role in your health issues, then a CAR test may be right for your right now. It can be run, and the results can be considered within a Nutritional or Naturopathic appointment.
For a consultation book an appointment today with Sue in Neutral Bay or via Telehealth soon. Booking is available online through the website.